You’re ready for the holidays, but is your home following suit? See for yourself with this holiday home maintenance checklist.
- Declutter. Holidays = More. More people, more food, and more stuff in your home. Before the onslaught of people arriving, store away belongings that have piled up around your house in the past few months.
- Baby and pet-proof your decorations. If you have toddling two-year-olds or four-legged friends joining your holiday festivities, you want them to be safe. Ensure outlets are covered, cords are stashed away, and harmful chemicals are out of reach.
- Use programmable timers. Save time and energy by putting indoor and outdoor lights on timers. Choose from a simple outlet timer or go for WiFi and Bluetooth smart plugs that allow you to monitor energy usage and control lights from your smartphone.
- Clean out your fridge and freezer. All those leftovers are gonna need somewhere to go! Make space now by cleaning out your fridge and freezer. Another idea? Grab some to-go boxes and send your guests home with a full belly AND lunch for the next day.
- Secure your home’s exterior. If you’re traveling, ensure your porch lights, flood lights, and security cameras are working properly. Ask around and enlist the help of a neighbor to keep an eye on things while you’re away. Be safe! If you plan to attend parties and church services, make sure lights are on, and your home looks busy!
Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and may you have a wonderful New Year!